turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

txtonyc

Last year I moved from TX to NYC. The move happened towards the end of the year. I rolled over my 401k into my Roth IRA. Do I need to pay state tax on the Roth?

The income was all earned in Texas while I was a resident of Texas; no New York income was included in that roll over. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

Last year I moved from TX to NYC. The move happened towards the end of the year. I rolled over my 401k into my Roth IRA. Do I need to pay state tax on the Roth?

Unfortunately you will have to include this distribution as NY sourced if the distribution occurred during the time you were considered an NY part-year resident (regardless of the fact that your original income and 401(k) contributions were made while a resident of TX). Therefore any federally taxable distributions that occurred while a resident of NY, will also be taxed in NY. (If this was a non-taxable Roth conversion for federal income tax purposes, then it will not be considered taxable on your NY state income tax return.)

Check below for more information about filing a part-year state tax return (Please select "see entire answer" to see full answer)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302008

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

Unfortunately you will have to include this distribution as NY sourced if the distribution occurred during the time you were considered an NY part-year resident (regardless of the fact that your original income and 401(k) contributions were made while a resident of TX). Therefore any federally taxable distributions that occurred while a resident of NY, will also be taxed in NY. (If this was a non-taxable Roth conversion for federal income tax purposes, then it will not be considered taxable on your NY state income tax return.)

Check below for more information about filing a part-year state tax return (Please select "see entire answer" to see full answer)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302008

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies