Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Keeps asking about 1099 NEC. I don't have one

I"m trying to efile and it keeps asking me to fix the federal return. Asking about 1099 NEC and an EIN number.  Why???  I don't have a 1099 NEC to report.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

You might have a 1099-NEC in that section or Entered self employment income.  Lets start my looking at the 1099-NEC Section.  Follow there Steps:

After you have logged in and are in your return:

• Go to Search at the top of the screen.
  • then enter Form 1099-NEC in the search box. 
  • You will see a Jump To function that will take you to the 1099-NEC input screens. 
  • Look for a 1099 in this section.  
  • If there is one there, then delete it by clicking the trash can next the 1099-NEC listed

If there is nothing there but there is showing a line with a Trash Can, then click the trash can to delete the line.  You might have started in this section and stopped before entering anything but TurboTax is looking for the 1099-NEC.

The other option might in your self employment income.  If you indicated in your entries for self employment income you received a 1099-NEC, it could be looking for that form.  If you entered self employment income and expense, go back through your Self Employment income section to insure you did not indicate you received a 1099-NEC.

Note the 1099-NEC is a new form of 2020, replacing the 1099-MISC for income earned as a non-employee.

So my 1099 NEC row doesn't have a trash can but I don't have any 1099-NEC income or forms? Any other suggestions? Is it grabbing that idea from somewhere else?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you had no 1099-NEC's listed on the summary screen, then you may have been self-employed last tax year. If so, it will carry over to this year. In order to delete this, you would have to delete the Schedule C and any associated forms from your tax return. 

To delete Schedule C, please follow the instructions below:

1. Open your return. 
  2. Search for Schedule C with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page.
  3. Select the Jump to Schedule C link in the search results.
  4. If you get to a self-employment summary screen, delete the self-employment income line with the trash can icon.
  5. If you get to the question Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? answer No

Next, please make sure to delete any Schedule C or associated self-employment forms in your return. 

1. Click on Tools.
  2. Click on Delete a Form
  3. Scroll down to your forms and look for self-employed forms you need to remove and click Delete

@BTInternet

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies