turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tom_kozak61
Returning Member

Does the amount you take out of your 401-K at work get added to the Modified Adjusted Gross Income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Does the amount you take out of your 401-K at work get added to the Modified Adjusted Gross Income?

Assuming that you did not make any after-tax contributions to your 401(k), your entire 401(k) distribution adds to your AGI and is treated as ordinary income unless it is rolled over to another retirement account.  This income is included in the MAGI used for determining eligibility for health insurance Premium Tax Credits (and any other any type of modified AGI, as far as I know).

View solution in original post

9 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Assuming that you did not make any after-tax contributions to your 401(k), your entire 401(k) distribution adds to your AGI and is treated as ordinary income unless it is rolled over to another retirement account.  This income is included in the MAGI used for determining eligibility for health insurance Premium Tax Credits (and any other any type of modified AGI, as far as I know).

tom_kozak61
Returning Member

so adding my 24K that i withheld will make me over the ROTH 181,000 cap
dmertz
Level 15

The distribution from the 401(k) would only be excluded from the MAGI for determining your eligibility for a Roth IRA contribution if the 401(k) distribution was rolled over, either to a another pre-tax retirement account (which would keep it from being part of your AGI in the first place) or to a Roth IRA (in which case it's subtracted from your AGI in determining your MAGI for this purpose).

See line 2 of Worksheet 2-1 for IRS Pub 590-A:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590a.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590a.pdf</a>

Have you considered doing a rollover/conversion to a Roth?
dmertz
Level 15

If the 401(k) distribution was an RMD, it cannot be rolled over or converted to a Roth IRA.
tom_kozak61
Returning Member

Enter any traditional IRA deduction from Form 1040, line 32; Form 1040A, line 17; or Form 1040NR, line 32...................................  does this include 401-K from your job?
tom_kozak61
Returning Member

its not a distribution. its taken out of my paycheck
dmertz
Level 15

Elective deferrals *to* your traditional 401(k) from your paycheck are not included in your AGI and therefore do not appear in your MAGI.  They are excluded from the amount reported in box 1 of your W-2.  They are not reported anywhere on your tax return as a deduction.

Elective deferrals to a Designated Roth Account in your 401(k) (a Roth 401(k)) do appear in your AGI and MAGI since they are not excluded from the amount in box 1 of your W-2.
tom_kozak61
Returning Member

thank you for this clarification
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies