turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

opitsb2018
Returning Member

It is asking for information from a 1099-R and I don't have one. How to clear from Turbo Tax

Form 1099-R, Distributions from Pensions, IRAs, etc have yellow unfilled blocks.  I do not have a 1099-R to submit.  How to clear this?  It is holding up sending my taxes along with problems on line 38 through 41.  I have a negative adjusted gross income (yes I know- it's bad) and a positive standard deduction.  Line 41 subtracted the positive amount on line 40 instead of adding it making it an even higher negative balance.  Don't know what to do.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

It is asking for information from a 1099-R and I don't have one. How to clear from Turbo Tax

Line 38 is the same as Line 37  Per the IRS, If line 37 is less than zero, you may have a net operating loss that you can carry to another tax year. See the Instructions for Form 1045 for details.

1)   Go to the 1099-R interview and delete any unneeded 1099-R.

Enter a 1099-R here:

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
(I'll choose what I work on - if that screen comes up)
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

OR  Use the "Tools" menu (if online version left side) and then "Search Topics" for "1099-R" which will take you to the same place.

Be sure to choose which spouse the 1099-R is for if this is a joint tax return.

2)  Line 41 instructions:  "*Subtract*  line 40 from line 38".  A number *subtracted* from a negative number is a larger negative.   (-10 -10 = -20).   - line 40 is not added to 38 it is subtracted from 38.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies