turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LYNNHEAD

If I were to make a contribution to my ROTH for 2017 before April 12017, could this cut down the money I owe to the government this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I were to make a contribution to my ROTH for 2017 before April 12017, could this cut down the money I owe to the government this year?

No.  Only Traditional IRA contributions are deductible if you meet the qualifications.

Roth contribution are not deductible and will not result in any tax savings.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

No.  Only Traditional IRA contributions are deductible if you meet the qualifications.

Roth contribution are not deductible and will not result in any tax savings.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

However, if your income is low enough to qualify for the "Saver's Credit", that credit will reduce the amount that you owe.

Good point!
Karen1209

It depends.  Roth contribution limits are based on your filing status AND your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI).

Please see the IRS link below to determine whether you will benefit:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/amount-of-roth-ira-contributions-that-you-can-make-for-2017

Manage cookies