Solved: Is there an error in the California program? It is calculating an early withdrawal tax on an IRA withdrawal, but I was well past 59 1/2 at the beginning of 2018.

Is there an error in the California program? It is calculating an early withdrawal tax on an IRA withdrawal, but I was well past 59 1/2 at the beginning of 2018.

Found out that there is no error. California adds a 2.5% "premature withdrawal" tax on IRA rollovers to HSAs. The TurboTax program called that an "early withdrawal" tax, hence the confusion.

The California 2.5% additional tax does not apply to someone over age 59½.  What *does* apply is that an HSA Funding Distribution is taxable in California because HSA contributions are not excludible from income in California.