Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bendix61

Is there a limited number of 1099-R's that can be used in Turbo Tax Deluxe

When I try to open a new 1099-R, it says 20 copies used, 0 remaining

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

20 Forms 1099-R is the limit.

If you have multiple Forms 1099-R that show no tax withholding in box 4, have the same code in box 7 and the marking of the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is the same, these can be summed into a single Form 1099-R entry since, under these circumstances, the details of the Forms 1099-R are not transmitted with your e-filed tax return.  Only the totals are included on  Form 1040 lines 15 and 16 or Form 1040A lines 11 and 12.

(Some payers that hold multiple investments in a single retirement account unnecessarily issue a separate Form 1099-R for a distribution from each investment within the account rather than issuing a single Form 1099-R for the entire account.)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

20 Forms 1099-R is the limit.

If you have multiple Forms 1099-R that show no tax withholding in box 4, have the same code in box 7 and the marking of the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is the same, these can be summed into a single Form 1099-R entry since, under these circumstances, the details of the Forms 1099-R are not transmitted with your e-filed tax return.  Only the totals are included on  Form 1040 lines 15 and 16 or Form 1040A lines 11 and 12.

(Some payers that hold multiple investments in a single retirement account unnecessarily issue a separate Form 1099-R for a distribution from each investment within the account rather than issuing a single Form 1099-R for the entire account.)

What do I do if all my Forms 1099-R show withholding, but I need more than 20?
dmertz
Level 15

If all show withholding, you can combine those from the same plan having the same code in box 7 and marking of the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box, but you must then mail your tax return and include the required printed copies of the Forms 1099-R.  Even though TurboTax will permit you to e-file, doing so would cause the combined Form 1099-R to differ in detail from the individual Forms 1099-R provided to the IRS by the payers leading to potential problems processing your tax return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies