turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is Retirement Savers Contribution Credit included in Free Edition?

This Credit appears on Form 1040A according to the IRS website, yet Form 8880 (used to claim the credit) is not listed as supported by the Free Edition.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

It appears that the Free Edition accommodates the entries for the Retirement Savings Contributions Credit without indicating that an upgrade is required.  This seems to suggest that the Free version will prepare Form 8880.  I'll raise with the moderators the fact that Form 8880 is not listed as a form supported by the Free Edition.

dmertz
Level 15

Intuit has updated the list of supported forms to show that Form 8880 is supported in the Free Edition.
pushpamak

When I tried to file for my self, it says retirement credit is not included in free edition. So even if intuit lists form 8880 is supported in list, it has to be supported in real when we do taxes. I believe its still not working

@pushpamak wrote:

When I tried to file for my self, it says retirement credit is not included in free edition. So even if intuit lists form 8880 is supported in list, it has to be supported in real when we do taxes. I believe its still not working

The 06/04/2019 date on the post that you reference is VERY misleading.  That is the date that OLD posts from the old AXE (Answer exchange) form was migrated to this forum.  The actual date of that post could be years old.  That post refers to what was supported long before the IRS revised the 1040 forms in 2018 to eliminate the 1040EZ and 1040A.

For 2019, the 8880 form requires the new Schedule 3 that the Free Edition does not support.  The Free Edition only supports the basis 1040 form without any added Schedules.

The Free edition only supports simple tax returns that do not require any additional schedules. More complex tax returns will require Deluxe or higher depending on the forms that are needed.

You might be able to use the Free File (formally called Freedom Edition) for incomes under $36,000 and supports all states and most forms.

The Free File is part of the IRS Free File alliance and is totally separate from TurboTax website.

You can also access the Free File tax alliance programs via the IRS website.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

https://freefile.intuit.com/

How do I switch to TurboTax Free File?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3491786

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies