lilrog26

Is it correct that my W-2 shows box 12 code W "Employer contributions to a Health Savings Account" when I actually made the contribution?

IsabellaG

Yes, all HSA contributions from your W-2 are counted as made by your employer even if they came out of your pay.  You would only add to that figure any contributions that you made separately,  outside of your W-2. See this answer from TurboTax ChristinaS for more details.

IsabellaG

taochen1

.
ronaldpalbicki

this amount seems to be more then my wife contributed to he HSA

JosephF8

This is possible if the employer also contributed to the Health Savings Account.

The total amount your spouse contributed may also be on their final pay stub of 2019.

You can also check with the employer.

jpalanca69

So the whole amount is considered employer contribution by California?

BillM223

@jpalanca69

The code W amount in box 12 on your W-2 is called the "employer contribution" and it is the sum of whatever contributions your employer made and whatever contributions you made by payroll deduction.

California uses the same definition, even though California does not permit the deduction of HSA contributions either through the employer or made directly to the HSA by the taxpayer.

So you will see the code W amount in box 12 of your W-2 added back to California state income, to eliminate that "deduction".