turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is ira conversion subject to additional Medicare Tax? Since IRA conversion is treated as gross income, I would think it would.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is ira conversion subject to additional Medicare Tax? Since IRA conversion is treated as gross income, I would think it would.

@BlueRump - agree it is not taxed @3.8%, but it can 'push' your unearned income to be taxed @3.8% 

Assume filing single with total income of $160,000 including unearned income of $10,000.  There is no NIIT 

But then I do an IRA conversion to my Roth (or a distribution - it doesn't matter) for $50,000

Now my total income is $210,000 and the $10,000 of unearned income is taxed @ 3.8%, 

My earlier point is when determining the tax impact of taking a conversion, it may have a "knock on" effect to other taxes that some fail to consider.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

A Roth conversion is not wages or income from self-employment, so it has no effect on the additional Medicare tax calculated on Form 8959.

@jerry-kim but it can be subject to the 3.8% NIIT tax, depending on your income after the conversion.  (Line 11 of Form 1040 is the trigger for most) 

BlueRump

Thanks.  I thought IRA withdrawals doesn't qualify for NIIT since Roth IRA conversion is viewed as a IRA withdrawal.

@BlueRump - agree it is not taxed @3.8%, but it can 'push' your unearned income to be taxed @3.8% 

Assume filing single with total income of $160,000 including unearned income of $10,000.  There is no NIIT 

But then I do an IRA conversion to my Roth (or a distribution - it doesn't matter) for $50,000

Now my total income is $210,000 and the $10,000 of unearned income is taxed @ 3.8%, 

My earlier point is when determining the tax impact of taking a conversion, it may have a "knock on" effect to other taxes that some fail to consider.  

You're right.  IRA withdrawals will add to youre overall income which can effect how your NIIT is determined.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies