Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is a RMD the same thing as a regular disbursement? I don't know how to answer this question on TurboTax

I am doing my parents taxes on Turbo Tax.  I put in the RMD of my dad's TSP and now it's asking me if he had regular (weekly, monthly, annually) disbursements made.  I am thinking the answer is "No" but don't want to make the wrong choice.

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Is a RMD the same thing as a regular disbursement? I don't know how to answer this question on TurboTax

The answer would be "No".

The TSP (Thrift Savings Plan) is much like a 401K plan; you decide when and how much to withdraw, at least until the RMD rules kick in.  

The question about regular (weekly, monthly, annually) disbursements is applicable to traditional pension plans, where the timing and amount of payments is set by a formula.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

The answer would be "No".

The TSP (Thrift Savings Plan) is much like a 401K plan; you decide when and how much to withdraw, at least until the RMD rules kick in.  

The question about regular (weekly, monthly, annually) disbursements is applicable to traditional pension plans, where the timing and amount of payments is set by a formula.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies