turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRMAA & MAGI

For those over 65, could Turbotax list the MAGI for Medicare's IRMAA (Adjusted gross income + tax exempt interest income). 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

IRMAA & MAGI

Are just asking if TurboTax shows your MAGI?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

IRMAA & MAGI

On your 2017 tax return, the MAGI for IRMAA is Form 1040 line 37 plus line 8b.

On your 2018 tax return, the MAGI for IRMAA is Form 1040 line 7 plus line 2a.

On your 2019 tax return, the MAGI for IRMAA is Form 1040 line 8b plus line 2a.

Keep in mind that your IRMAA is based on your MAGI from two or three years ago. For example, your IRMAA for 2020 will usually be based on your 2018 tax return, or possibly your 2017 tax return.

IRMAA & MAGI

The fact that the Trubotax is already keeping track of the taxpayer's age (adds additional tax deduction if you are over 65), providing MAGI for Medicare should be trivial. One not add it is simply beyond reason IMHO.

TomD8
Level 15

IRMAA & MAGI

If you are receiving Social Security benefits, you will soon receive a letter from Social Security with the details on your new 2020 benefit amount.  That letter will include the IRMAA information you’re seeking.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

IRMAA & MAGI

@Boggy4062 

Are you talking about TurboTax Online or the CD/Download TurboTax software? Where would TurboTax show the MAGI for IRMAA? There's no place for it on the tax forms. When you want to see what your 2020 Medicare premiums will be, how would you find your 2018 or 2017 MAGI in TurboTax?

Is it really so hard to add two numbers from your tax return? A lot of people don't have any tax-exempt interest, so they don't even have to add anything. The MAGI is right there on the tax return.

IRMAA & MAGI

Correct, and this works if none of your situation has changed.  If you have stopped working and therefore wish to apply for a reconsideration because of a qualifying life event, my MAGI becomes important to be able to easily establish.

IRMAA & MAGI

It doesn't matter which version ( I use PC version). The reason I am buying a program which is supposed to answer any tax question is not to add or subtract lines on my tax for that already exit in the program. I COULD rewrite Turbotax, or create tax forms in Excel, but is it the issues? The financial brokers can and DO, calculate RMD amount for IRAs. They have the information, and make my life easier. For some reason Intuit doesn't find it important ... for them. They don't don't care about us, the customers (it is my feeling).

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

IRMAA & MAGI

@Boggy4062 wrote:

. . . a program which is supposed to answer any tax question

TurboTax is not supposed to "answer any tax question." It's supposed to prepare your tax return. There are many possible tax-related questions that TurboTax does not answer. That's not what it's designed for.

@Boggy4062 wrote:

The financial brokers can and DO, calculate RMD amount for IRAs. They have the information, and make my life easier.

They are required by law to calculate your RMD and tell you the amount. They don't do it to make your life easier. They do it because they have to.

IRMAA & MAGI

@Boggy4062 wrote:

It doesn't matter which version ( I use PC version). The reason I am buying a program which is supposed to answer any tax question is not to add or subtract lines on my tax for that already exit in the program. I COULD rewrite Turbotax, or create tax forms in Excel, but is it the issues? The financial brokers can and DO, calculate RMD amount for IRAs. They have the information, and make my life easier. For some reason Intuit doesn't find it important ... for them. They don't don't care about us, the customers (it is my feeling).

Your total 2019 RMD amount is based on the December 31, 2018 total value of all Traditional, SEP and SIMPLE IRAs that you might own. TurboTax has NO  way to know what that value might have been since it is not usually required on a tax return.  TurboTax is an income tax program, and does not collect data not needed to file a tax return for the current tax year.   Nothing about a RMD goes on your tax return at all if you took the RMD - TurboTax does ask if you did take the RMD so that it can prepare a 5329 form if you failed to take it, otherwise there is nothing at all about a RMD on a tax return.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

IRMAA & MAGI

TurboTax doesn't do my taxes. I DO. I gather the number, forms.. I enter them into the Turbotax. The only thing that it does is it  CALCULATES numbers that I provided. I still have to answer the questions that only I have answers to.  It replaces the accountant in some area, but does require knowledge about taxes. Again, this very little to do with the original question: why TruboTax doesn't provide IRMAA and MAGI CALCULATIONS for Medicare purposes.  It DOES have all the information (same as brokers do to calculate RDA for )?  Is it because the government didn't make Intuit do it? 

IRMAA & MAGI

The issue is to decide whether to add to my MAGI, say by making a TRADITIONAL IRA to a ROTH IRA conversion.  I would need to know how much I could convert before raising to the next tier, before I finalize my taxes.

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

IRMAA & MAGI

If you want to do some projections, you can use the estimated tax section in TurboTax Online to run some scenarios.

1. Log in and continue your return.
  2. Use the search box toward the upper right to search for W4.
  3. Click on Jump to W4.
  4. Answer the first question No.
  5. Answer the second question Prepare now.

Go through the section and project your 2020 income. You can go through it several times if needed. 

If you are using TurboTax software installed on your computer, it is even easier. 

1. Click on the Forms icon toward the upper right corner.
  2. Click on Open Forms.
  3. Search for What if, create a copy.

You can run various tax scenarios on the worksheet very easily. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

IRMAA & MAGI

Interesting but does not address the issue of CALCULATING MAGI for IRMAA.

IRMAA & MAGI

@Mtnbyke wrote:

Interesting but does not address the issue of CALCULATING MAGI for IRMAA.

TurboTax is  *income tax* software and does not support calculations that do not go on an income tax return.

IRMAA is an acronym for Medicare's income-related monthly adjustment amount.   Medicare does not go on an income tax return other than what is reported to you on a W-2 or SA1099 form.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies