turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

IRA for down payment 2016

I used IRA funds to purchase a house (WA State) in 2016.  Where can I enter this information for the tax break>  Is this tax break still viable for 2016?
1 Reply
Expert Alumni

IRA for down payment 2016

There is no credit for buying a house, but there is an exception to additional 10% penalty tax on early IRA withdrawals when they are used towards the purchase of your first home. Please click here for Retirement Topics-Exceptions to Tax on early Distributions.

You will receive a Form 1099-R for your withdrawal. Please be sure to enter all the information into Turbo Tax exactly as it appears on the form. You will then be asked additional questions about the distribution and will be able to indicate your first home purchase exception. 

However, you may have to have to pay the "regular" income tax on the distribution itself, excluding your nondeductible contributions.  So again -  be sure to answer follow up questions about your IRA distribution. TurboTax will ask if you have any nondeductible contributions in your IRA (called basis). Please be sure to enter your basis amount, only the difference between your distribution and your basis will be taxed.

To enter form 1099-R, please follow the steps below:

  1. Federal Taxes
  2.  Select Wages and Income
  3.  Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  4. Select IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans (1099-R)

Note: There used to be a credit called First Time Homebuyer Credit - but it was only available in 2008 and 2009.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies