Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRA distributions not being picked up on return

I imported four 1099Rs from TRowe Price.  All have the IRA box checked and all the follow-up questions were answered. These are not added to the return, causing my income to be underreported.  I also have two other IRAs with the interview sheets filled out the same as the TRowe Price ones which have carried to the return.  

How do I get these IRA distributions onto my return.  Thank you. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

To clarify, these were regular distributions and they do not show up on line 4 of Form 1040? What codes are in box 7?

You can try to delete them and enter them manually to see if this solves the issue:

1. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “1099-R”  
  2. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”
  3. On the "Let's import your tax info" screen click "Change how I enter my form"
  4. On the "How do you want to enter your 1099‑R?" screen click "Type it in myself"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

First of all, thank you to DanaB27 for the reply.  

In answer to your questions, yes these are regular distributions, box 7 shown, and the box for IRA distributions is checked.  (The information was imported from T Rowe Price.)  They do appear on the Distributions from Pensions, IRAs, etc "Worksheet" produced as a form along with all my other 1099R distributions which are included on line 4 of the 1040.

I followed your suggestion to delete and manually reenter the four 1099Rs from T Rowe Price.  IT DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM.  Therefore, the return underreports income which the IRS is aware of despite the Smart Check message that the "we've reviewed the federal return and found no errors."  Now I can file an extension while I wait for Turbo Tax to solve this very frustrating issue.  Please advise.  Thank you.  

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

To confirm, you have the Distributions from Pensions, IRAs, etc "Worksheet" produced but it isn't carried over the Form 1040 line 4?

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2023" file that is experiencing this issue. You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. If you would like to do this, here are the instructions for TurboTax Online

1. From the left menu select Tax Tools. 
  2. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  3. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  4. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  5. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is. Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  6. Reply to this thread with your Token number and add @DanaB27 . This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

The instructions for TurboTax Download

1. On your menu bar at the very top, click "Online"
  2. Select "Send Tax File to Agent"  
  3. Click "Send"
  4. The pop-up will have a token number
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number and add @DanaB27 . This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

The token # on the diagnostic copy I just provided is 1234576.

@DanaB27

Please confirm receipt of copy.  Thank you.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

After looking at the files it appears that the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is not checked in the software for the two largest distributions.  (Since the data file is stripped of personal information, I can't see for sure that those indicate they are from T. Rowe Price, but it is just the two largest distributions.)  

Please return to the IRA section and edit those two adding a checkmark in the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box that is below the Box 7 code (which is also code 7).  

When I add those checkboxes in the diagnostic copy, the income moves to line 4a.

Thank you for the quick response.  Neither of the two large distributions were from IRAs.  One was from a 401K, the other from a Defined Benefit Pension.  They appear, appropriately, on line 5b of the 1040.    So I don't think your proposal is a solution.  

I appreciate your continuing to work on and hopefully solve this problem. 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

In this case, return to those 1099s and change the answer to the question "Any Periodic Payments?" to Yes

Next, indicate "No, I started getting payments in 2022 or a prior year" (unless 2023 is the first year that you received a payment from these accounts.  Finally, click Yes the question asking if the amount in box 2a was used as the taxable amount.

Did what you suggested for one (the other was already coded in the manner you suggested) of the two large (not IRAs) 1099Rs.

As I expected, this did not solve any thing.  Keep at it. 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Indicating that the box 2a is the taxable amount transfers the money to the taxable line of the 1040 in the test return.  Sometimes changing answers in TurboTax will cause some prior answers to become stuck, which is when deleting and re-entering (manually, not by transfer) will work but I can see that you've tried that already. 

Our next support option is to contact one of our live representatives who can share a screen with you and walk through the motions with you until this is resolved. 

Here are instructions to reach our live assistance:  How do I connect with a TurboTax Live Expert. 

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

I reviewed your return and you have Form 8606 included on your return which calculated the nontaxable part of your IRA distributions as $492. Therefore, line 4b is less than line 4a, by $492. I also added all your Form 1099-Rs (IRA's) and confirmed the sum in line 4a.

Please let me know if this solved your issue.

@40beach 

Not a solution.  Total of $3493 of four IRA distributions from TRowe Price STILL are not on the return. 

Keep trying or perhaps you can escalate this problem to someone who I can speak with, without the necessity to upgrade to TurboTax live at additional cost to me.

Thanks again  SusanY1.  Correct me if I'm wrong but to connect with a TurboTax live expert involves upgrading to live at additional cost to me.

As you can see from the long list of posts and non-answers on this subject, I have a problem not of my own making.  TurboTax should be interested in solving their own problem at no cost to me.

I would appreciate it if you could facilitate putting me in touch with a live representative or telling me how to do this myself without having to upgrade to live.  

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

To clarify, did you have more than 8 Form 1099-R? All the Form 1099-R entered on your return are included on lines 4 or 5 of Form 1040.

Also, when I add the 4 first Form 1099-R, which have the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box checked and have the same zip code, they add up to $3,492.76. This amount is include on line 4.

Please see What is the TurboTax phone number?

Thank you DanaB27.  The problem is solved and it was on my end.  Got confused by the T Rowe Price 1099Rs.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies