turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bnwbass

IRA Contribution Constraints

I am considering a IRA contribution for the first time to lower my tax situation. What are the rules or constraints for such a contribution. Example, must I keep the IRA untouched for a predetermined amount of time before I can claim any benefit from the IRA account?  How long before I can execute IRA disbursement if i need it? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

In reality, you always have access to your funds that are held in the IRA. The question is how much will it cost you?

If you are under 59-1/2 and withdraw money from an IRA, those funds are taxed at your regular income tax rate plus a 10% penalty. 

After 59-1/2, a traditional IRA does not carry the penalty, just normal tax. 

Be careful, if you or your spouse (if you have one) are covered by a retirement plan from an employer, there are income limits that can make you ineligible for a deduction.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Ashby

In reality, you always have access to your funds that are held in the IRA. The question is how much will it cost you?

If you are under 59-1/2 and withdraw money from an IRA, those funds are taxed at your regular income tax rate plus a 10% penalty. 

After 59-1/2, a traditional IRA does not carry the penalty, just normal tax. 

Be careful, if you or your spouse (if you have one) are covered by a retirement plan from an employer, there are income limits that can make you ineligible for a deduction.

bnwbass

Thank you, I am finding now that because i'm covered by a retirement plan from an employer, and with  income limits we ineligible for a deduction.  Leads me to the decision of filing separate and not joint married. Either way I am over the limit but my spouse on her own is not.  Is this a viable option to file separately and claim the IRA contribution  for only her?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies