Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Inherited IRA RMD

HELP!

I took the correct amount of RMD and imported my 1099-R. It correctly lists "4" (Death), yet I am being charged a penalty of $1,885 for a withdrawal of $1,598????

How can I figure out what Turbo Tax has done wrong. I have had this IRA since 2004 and never before have I had an issue with being charged a PENALTY for taking the REQUIRED RMD, calculated by Vanguard, not by ME.

This is obviously a mistake but I can't see where I could have made the mistake, so how do I figure out what TTax did wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Inherited IRA RMD

Try deleting the 1099R and enter it again MANUALLY.  That usually clears something out and fixes it.  @dmertz   

Inherited IRA RMD

Thanks. I did what you suggested but the problem seems to be there. For Totals Summary it showed Adjustment to Income -$1885, but absolutely no difference in the amount of tax I owed for Federal or State. On the State (CA) Adjustments Schedule there is still $1,885 as Penalty for early withdrawal of "savings" (?) I assumed it was RMD but it didn't change.

Is there something I need to do to trigger an update? Like close it and re-open software? Is there any other "withdrawal of savings" could refer to?  I haven't withdrawn anything other than RMD that could possibly be subject to penalty, and it correctly shows that I withdrew ONLY the amount of RMD, no more no less.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Inherited IRA RMD

If you are referring to line 18 in Section C of the CA Adjustments Schedule, "Penalty on early withdrawal of savings," that has nothing to do with your RMD or your 1099-R. It comes from line 18 of Schedule 1 in your federal tax return, which in turn comes from box 2 of a 1099-INT that you entered. The adjustment reduces your federal and California taxable income. It is not a tax penalty. It's a penalty that you paid to the bank that issued the 1099-INT.

(That seems like a rather high penalty. Check and make sure that you entered your 1099-INT forms correctly.)

Inherited IRA RMD

Oh you're right! I closed some CDs before Maturity when Rates increased substantially bc I was able to make up the penalties by earning higher interest. That has to be what it is. Now I know where to go so I can check the figures, but the penalties were steep bc I had to forfeit 6 months of interest. This was a couple of years ago, when Rates had a dramatic increase, I'm just catching up to finalizing 2022 so I can file 2023 before the October Extension Deadline date.

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies