turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Inherited IRA RMD 5yr rule reporting RMD

I have an inherited IRA, and I plan to withdraw the money under the 5 yr rule (which I understand as requiring me to withdraw all money within 5 years to avoid penalties). I calculated the amount I could withdraw (take as a distribution) in 2019 while remaining in my current tax bracket. I believe that amount exceeds what would have been "required." 

On the 1099-R, there is a question of whether the full gross of the distribution should be considered the RMD, or only part of the distribution. I cannot find any guidance about this question. Is there a reason the full gross should NOT be the RMD?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

The RMD question is asking how much of the distribution was RMD is used only to determine the amount that is eligible for rollover, not for determining any penalty; the question is actually asking how much of the distribution is not eligible for rollover.  In the case of a non-spouse beneficiary, it is all ineligible for rollover, all RMD.  If you didn't roll over any of this distribution, it doesn't matter how you answer this question.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

Since you chose to use the 5 year rule, any amount you take out will exceed the RMD.

The IRS wants to make sure you take out the Required Minimum. There is a penalty if you do not take out the RMD. Since the goal is to fine you for not taking the minimum, any answer that ensures there is no penalty, is fine.

A safe answer is yes, it was all RMD. This simply translates into the software that you do not owe a penalty. Nowhere does it mark that it was all RMD to the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

The RMD question is asking how much of the distribution was RMD is used only to determine the amount that is eligible for rollover, not for determining any penalty; the question is actually asking how much of the distribution is not eligible for rollover.  In the case of a non-spouse beneficiary, it is all ineligible for rollover, all RMD.  If you didn't roll over any of this distribution, it doesn't matter how you answer this question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies