turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

keb329

In TT why do my taxes go up by $12 for a $24 1099-INT addition?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The likely explanation is due to the way the tax table itself works.  It is not a straight percentage, but rather a graduated rate where every $50 of income results in additional tax due.  Its possible to see a small amount of interest can push you over into the next $50 bracket, which then causes an increase in tax liability.  

For example, a single taxpayer with $40,049 in taxable income that enters a $2 interest income would actually see a $12 increase in tax liability.  It might be easiest to see if you look at the tables themselves at the link below -

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The likely explanation is due to the way the tax table itself works.  It is not a straight percentage, but rather a graduated rate where every $50 of income results in additional tax due.  Its possible to see a small amount of interest can push you over into the next $50 bracket, which then causes an increase in tax liability.  

For example, a single taxpayer with $40,049 in taxable income that enters a $2 interest income would actually see a $12 increase in tax liability.  It might be easiest to see if you look at the tables themselves at the link below -

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies