turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mother lives /us we counted her as a dependent 2015. This year she took out funds from an IRA and filed without our knowledge to get her refund. Can we still count her?

What can I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BobB7

Mother lives /us we counted her as a dependent 2015. This year she took out funds from an IRA and filed without our knowledge to get her refund. Can we still count her?

If she took over $4050 from the IRA you cannot claim her, whether she claimed herself or not. And she was required to tile a tax return if the IRA distribution was over $1050.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
BobB7

If she took over $4050 from the IRA you cannot claim her, whether she claimed herself or not. And she was required to tile a tax return if the IRA distribution was over $1050.

PhilipK

In her Personal Info Section

If she claimed herself you cannot claim her.

If she selected Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return, you could claim her as a dependent.

I hope this helps

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies