turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tfelis

State distribution box is blank on 1099-R, line 14. state withholding shows an amount in Box 12. should I enter the gross distribution from box 1? Box 2a is empty?

The program tells me that the ny State withholding (283.81) cannot be greater than the gross distribution or state distribution. Its not greater than the gross distribution (5676.24)  and there is no information as o State distribution.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

State distribution box is blank on 1099-R, line 14. state withholding shows an amount in Box 12. should I enter the gross distribution from box 1? Box 2a is empty?

If you lived in the state all year, then you would enter the amount in box 2a in box 14.

If box 2a is empty with box 2b checked, then you would need to determine whether there are any pre-tax contributions to your retirement account. If you are not aware of any pre-tax contributions (your custodian is required to leave that box blank if there were any rollovers to this account), then enter the amount in box 1 in boxes 2a and 14.

View solution in original post

28 Replies
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

If you lived in the state all year, then you would enter the amount in box 2a in box 14.

If box 2a is empty with box 2b checked, then you would need to determine whether there are any pre-tax contributions to your retirement account. If you are not aware of any pre-tax contributions (your custodian is required to leave that box blank if there were any rollovers to this account), then enter the amount in box 1 in boxes 2a and 14.

Not box 2a.  You enter the box 1 amount in box 14 for NY.     A blank box 14 is assumed to be the same amount as box 1 when there is only one state with tax withholding.  Almost all issuers just leave box 14 blank since that is the industrial standard when only one state.  For some reason the NY e-file system wants an amount in box 14 this year.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
crm1

I called Fidelity and they were adamant that Box 14 should be blank per instructions.  This is a Turbotax error or, if NYS has forced the question, an issue between TurboTax and NYS to be resolved.  Regardless, they should not be forcing filers to "make up" the contents of Box 14.  That is completely bogus.

@crm - this is a 2 year old post but NY still will not allow a blank box 14.

It is  NY requirement.    Putting the box 1 (not box 2a) amount in box is not "making it up".   When there in only one state listed in box 13, then it is understood that the state distribution is the *same* as the federal distribution, so financial institutions just leave box 14 blank because a blank box 14 means the same at the box 1 amount.

NY (and another state in 2018) will reject a e-file with a blank box 14.    There is nothing that TurboTax can do about that.

If you do not want to put the box 1 amount in box 14, then print and mail the return and call the NY tax authority and complain to them.  

And Fidelity gave you incorrect information.   The 1099-R instructions say: "In boxes 14, you may enter the amount of the state or local distribution."    "Entering" a distribution is not a blank box.   NY is reading the instructions to require an entry.

[quote]
Boxes 12–17. State and Local Information

These boxes and Copies 1 and 2 are provided for your convenience only and need not be completed for the IRS. Use the state and local information boxes to report distributions and taxes for up to two states or localities. Keep the information for each state or locality separated by the broken line. If state or local income tax has been withheld on this distribution, you may enter it in boxes 12 and 15, as appropriate. In box 13, enter the abbreviated name of the state and the payer's state identification number. The state number is the payer's identification number assigned by the individual state. In box 16, enter the name of the locality. In boxes 14 and 17, you may enter the amount of the state or local distribution.
[end quote]

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099r">https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099r</a>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks all for the comments. I still see this as a Turbo Tax problem that Turbo Tax needs to fix with NYS. If Box 14 is empty, then the Turbo Tax software needs to tell you "do this". Hopefully "do this" will turn out to be a legal entry. If Turbo Tax sells software for NYS filing, and it fails, then Turbo Tax should refund the cost of the software. In my case, TRPrice provides Turbo for free. If I get into this fatal loop again next year, I will print and send the return via USMAIL.

So if I don't get any refund then I know theses people won't be working long
hyaony

same error in 1099-r with box 12a, form has 0 in box 1, I have to put 1 in box 1 and box 14, then the efile went thru.

@hyaony -  You have a 1099-R with a zero on box 1?   That would be an invalid 1099-R.  You should contact the insurer.     A 1099-R must always have a dollar amount in box 1.

What code is in box 7?
hyaony

I have amount $120 in box 5, 0 in box 1, 2B in box 7
hyaony

called Fideliety, the 1099-R form is correct with 0 in box 1.

That would be nonsense.

IRS 1099-R instructions (<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099r#idm140345395962000">https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099r#...>)

[quote]
Designated Roth account distributions.

If you are making a distribution from a designated Roth account, enter the gross distribution in box 1, the taxable portion of the distribution in box 2a, the basis included in the distributed amount in box 5, any amount allocable to an IRR made within the previous 5 years (unless an exception to section 72(t) applies) in box 10, and the first year of the 5-tax-year period for determining qualified distributions in box 11. Also, enter the applicable code(s) in box 7.
[end quote]

Box 5 is the amount of basis *included* in the box 1 amount for distributed.   It is impossible to have $120 of contributions *included* in $0.00.   Box 1 would have to be at least $120 in which case box 2a would be zero indicating a distribution of your own contributions.

Ask Fidelity is that is what this is for.

For several years my MN return would reject because of the state distribution.  It was just no big deal to simply enter the distribution amount in the state box, & then the efile would be fine.  As mentioned above, it was not “made up.”

Right. The software IS IN ERROR.  The error message says the withholdings must be greater than either the GROSS or the State Distribution.  All comments indicate that the software is NOT checking the w/h against the GROSS.  Yes, placing the Gross Distrib $ in the State Destrib. box works.  But should NOT BE NEEDED if the effing software was working like it should.  

But of course there is not contact info to tell Intuit anything.

rogueref

My 1099-R does not match with Turbo Tax request for information on Box 12 and 14. On my 1099-R Box 12 is "FATCA filing requirement" and box 14 states "State tax withheld",  turbo  tax calls box 12 "amount withheld" and box 14 "State distribution amt" Apparently there's something wrong herewith turbo tax.

Manage cookies