Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If turbotax automaticaly calculated kansas pension deduction, but it says i may need to edit the federal , can anybody guide me through it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

If turbotax automaticaly calculated kansas pension deduction, but it says i may need to edit the federal , can anybody guide me through it?

Please clarify what error message TurboTax is giving you.  This way we can narrow down where your return may need to be edited.

Here are a few troubleshooting tips you can try:

If your Kansas pension deduction was properly calculated, it sounds like you have successfully added some Forms 1099-R.  You should enter them exactly as they are shown.  If you believe there is an error on your Form 1099-R you should contact the issuer of the Form 1099-R.

You can also try deleting your Forms 1099-R and reentering them.  This often can correct errors in inputting the Form 1099-R.  Also, pay close attention to the followup questions after you enter your Form 1099-R.

To delete a form in TurboTax,

1. Log in, and choose Tax Tools, then Tools on the left side of your screen.
  2. In the Tools Center, choose Delete A Form.
  3. In Review Form List, find the 1099-R and choose Delete, if it's there. ...
  4. On the screen Delete Selected Form, select Delete.

Here's where to enter your 1099-R in TurboTax:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. In the Federal section, select Wages & Income.
  3. Scroll to locate Retirement Plans and Social Security.
  4. Select Start or Revisit next to IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

You can also find the 1099-R section using Search. Open your return, enter 1099-r in the search bar, and select the Jump to 1099-r link.

How did you answer your followup 1099-R questions?

For the TurboTax question: "What did you do with the money from the [qualified plan name] distribution?"

The choices are:

- moved the money to another retirement account (or returned it to the same retirement account)

- did something else with it (cashed it out, etc)

If you answered that you moved the money to another retirement account or returned it to the same account, you will get the following questions:

- rolled over to an IRA or other retirement account or returned it to the same account

- did a combination of rolling over, converting, or cashing out the money

If you did not move the money to another retirement account or return it to the original retirement account you should answer "I did something else with the money."

Click here for information on the taxability of your retirement withdrawal.

Click here for where to enter your Form 1099-R

Click here for the instructions for Forms 1099-R.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies