Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mytaxq58

If my step dad dies with me being the beneficiary of his aunnuity, will I be able to cash it out????...He has no will.

Is it best for him to have a will or trust???? Besides the annuity with my name being the beneficiary we have a joint savings account also..What happens to that???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

If my step dad dies with me being the beneficiary of his aunnuity, will I be able to cash it out????...He has no will.

Those are not tax questions, they are legal questions.

I’m not a lawyer. But, generally your ability to cash out the annuity is based on the terms of the annuity contract. There my be a penalty for cashing it out.

The savings account depends on who it is titled. If it’s a joint tenancy with right of survival (JTWROS),  you become the full  owner upon the death of the co-owner.

There are no tax consequence with inheriting the other half of the savings account. But, cashing out the annuity usually results in some/most (the growth/earnings portion) of it being taxable.

It is ALWAYS best to have a will or better a Revocable living trust to avoid probate. You need to see a lawyer about either of these. He can also answer your other questions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies