Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I rolled over from another retirement plan, why does it says that I took early withdrawal from the plan I was with for many years? I don't think I deserve a penalty

I return shows that I had a tremendous increase in my income due to the fact that the same monies were transferred (at a loss) to a new account.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

If I rolled over from another retirement plan, why does it says that I took early withdrawal from the plan I was with for many years? I don't think I deserve a penalty

After you finish entering the 1099-R you will be asked follow-up questions regarding what you did with the money.   If you indicate you rolled the money over to a different retirement account within 60 days, there is no early withdrawal penalty.     Where do I enter a 1099-R?    Enter the 1099-R exactly how it appears; then, answer the follow-up questions in the retirement income section of TurboTax.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What code is in box 7 on the 1099R?  Did they take any withholding out of it?  When you put in in the new retirement account did you also add back in the withholding?  Otherwise the withholding becomes a distribution and taxable and the early withdrawal penalty.  

If you rolled it over it should say 0 for the taxable amount  on 1040 line 4b  or 5b with the word Rollover by it.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies