Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I earned Interest income from savings bank and fixed deposit accounts in India. Tax was withheld at source for this. I entered this amount in Box 4 of 1099. Correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I earned Interest income from savings bank and fixed deposit accounts in India. Tax was withheld at source for this. I entered this amount in Box 4 of 1099. Correct?

If it was US Federal tax withheld, the answer is Yes.  If it was foreign tax (India) it would be entered in Box 6.

If I make this change, it says that I now owe more tax to the US government. But this doesn't make sense; I've already paid this tax in another country. Why am I being taxed again?
DDollar
Expert Alumni

That is correct.  It will be taxed again, but you can claim a foreign tax credit.  

I believe I had a credit last year as well. I had a number in Form 1116 - Line 30 for 2017. Does this matter? How do I handle this?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies