Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I had a hardship withdrawal from my 401k in 2020 with the taxes already taken out do I have to have a 1099 form along with my W-2 forms before I can file my taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

If I had a hardship withdrawal from my 401k in 2020 with the taxes already taken out do I have to have a 1099 form along with my W-2 forms before I can file my taxes

Yes...You must enter that 1099-R form.   IF you don't have it, log in to you 401k account access and download it as a PDF, or contact them to get a copy.

The tax withholding done was only a "required" amount...it could have been overwithholding...or it may not have been enough.  Your tax return that you are preparing will be the final accounting for taxes for ALL your income for all of 2020.  When you enter that 1099-R in the software, you will also be entering the tax withholding already done, and it will be credited against all your potential taxes for the year.

SO yes...you need to have and enter all income forms, including both W-2 and 1099-R forms.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies