Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I don't care about paying taxes on non-deductible contributions do I have to file an 8606

Some time back I lost track of an 8606. So that year I didn't file it and just paid taxes on the full amount. The savings are so low because I only once contributed the max $2000. If I don't care about paying taxes on that $2000 when I withdraw the pretax contribution do I have to still file an 8606? For a measly $300 in taxes I don't want to perform a lifetime of 8606 tracking.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I don't care about paying taxes on non-deductible contributions do I have to file an 8606

No, you NEVER have to file a form 8606 to recoup the basis ... in fact the IRS would love it if you totally forget about it since it is in their favor. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

No, you NEVER have to file a form 8606 to recoup the basis ... in fact the IRS would love it if you totally forget about it since it is in their favor. 

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Additionally, by 'not caring about the taxes' you'll avoid the $50 late filing fee (although it can be waived) by not filing Form 8606.

See below for reference.

https://www.thebalance.com/forgot-to-file-form-8606-for-non-deductible-iras-3973986

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The penalty only comes into play if you are reporting new non deductible contributions... not for failure to use it for distributions.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies