turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jacobja32

If I created a Stash account and invested money around 75 dollars, do I need to reported it, if so how?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieCo

If I created a Stash account and invested money around 75 dollars, do I need to reported it, if so how?

It depends.  You do not need to report money that you have invested in an account on your tax return until you SELL one of the investment products (stocks, mutual funds, bonds). If you earn interest or dividends on the investments you own, then the interest or dividend income should be reported on your tax return.  

You should receive a 1099 summary form from Stash which will reflect any interest or dividends earned, as well as whether any investment products were sold or traded.  If you have not received a 1099 form from Stash, you should check your online Stash account to see if a 1099 form has been provided for you.  If you do not have a 1099 form from Stash, then you do not have anything to report on your tax return.

If you do have a 1099 B form, here are the steps to follow to enter any investment gains/losses on sales:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4789365

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieCo

It depends.  You do not need to report money that you have invested in an account on your tax return until you SELL one of the investment products (stocks, mutual funds, bonds). If you earn interest or dividends on the investments you own, then the interest or dividend income should be reported on your tax return.  

You should receive a 1099 summary form from Stash which will reflect any interest or dividends earned, as well as whether any investment products were sold or traded.  If you have not received a 1099 form from Stash, you should check your online Stash account to see if a 1099 form has been provided for you.  If you do not have a 1099 form from Stash, then you do not have anything to report on your tax return.

If you do have a 1099 B form, here are the steps to follow to enter any investment gains/losses on sales:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4789365

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies