Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work full-time, draw Social Security, and receive a pension. Can I use the Basic Edition of Turbo Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I work full-time, draw Social Security, and receive a pension. Can I use the Basic Edition of Turbo Tax?

"Basic" does not include the software for a state return.  Do you live in a state that has a state income tax?   If so, you need Deluxe that will include state software.  Deluxe is sold with or without state software, so be careful and get the version you will need.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

But yes, for the Desktop installed programs......All the Desktop programs have the same forms. You just get more help and guidance in the higher versions. So you can use any version.

Do you have a computer to install it?  You need a full Windows or Mac computer.   The Desktop CD/Download program is different than the Online web version.   Online will open in several weeks.   You might even qualify for the Online Free Edition.  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You asked about Basic, but the tag below your question says TurboTax Online. There is no Basic Online. If you want to use TurboTax Online, and you have nothing but a W-2, Social Security, and a pension, with no complications, you can probably use Free Edition Online. If you want to use the CD/Download TurboTax software, see the previous replies.

There are a few things that can bump you up to the Deluxe or Premier version, like having an HSA at work, or certain IRA contributions.

If you use Turbotax Online, start in the Free version and let the program tell you if you need to upgrade.  If you want to use Turbotax installed on your own Mac or PC, the best value is to buy the Deluxe Federal+1 Free State version from a reliable third party retailer like Amazon, Target, Staples, Best Buy, and so on.  The Desktop Deluxe version includes all the forms that might be needed even if you have a special situation.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies