turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

oxert3

I work at a public middle school and have a 457b plan, do I check the "Pension plan" box as as an uncommon situation for my W-2?

Or no because public schools are government institutions?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I work at a public middle school and have a 457b plan, do I check the "Pension plan" box as as an uncommon situation for my W-2?

The "Pension plan" box in the list of uncommon situations says "I got money from a nonqualified pension plan (such as a 457)." You would check that box if the income on the W-2 is a distribution from your 457(b) plan. I don't think that's your situation. If you are not retired and the W-2 is for your current wages you do not check that box. Having money deducted from your pay and put into the 457(b) is not the uncommon situation that that box is for.

dmertz
Level 15

As rjs suggests, your governmental 457(b) plan is a a qualified retirement plan that would report distributions on From 1099-R, not Form W-2, so you should answer No to the list of uncommon situations.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies