turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xlian001

Can I skip track nondeductible ira contribution (Form 8606) for a year when do tax for roth convertion?

Conversion from IRA to Roth IRA is taxable.  I had some nondeductible IRA contribution before Roth IRA available.  So when I did some IRA conversion, the nondeductible part of traditional IRA had been tracked with Form 8606, and the taxable amount reduced.  I wonder if I can skip this tracking for a year or two, and pay the full tax for Roth conversion.

For example, I have IRA conversion in 2016, and I want to skip the 8606 form, and pay the full tax for the Roth conversion in year 2016.  If I convert to Roth IRA in 2017  I want to track nondeductible IRA again, I would use the previous year's 8606 form (for tax year 2015 in this case), as the Total Basis in Traditional IRAs.  Does it work this way?

Thanks for any advice.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I skip track nondeductible ira contribution (Form 8606) for a year when do tax for roth convertion?

Advice: it doesn't work that way; you can't do that.

You must file a Form 8606 when your traditional  IRA with basis is converted in whole or in part to a Roth. The form is used to calculate the taxable amount of the conversion.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Advice: it doesn't work that way; you can't do that.

You must file a Form 8606 when your traditional  IRA with basis is converted in whole or in part to a Roth. The form is used to calculate the taxable amount of the conversion.

xlian001

I thought I may do the workaround by answering No for tracking the nondeductible.  But worry the inconsistent answer for the following year.   Thanks for your advice.
dmertz
Level 15

If you presently have basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contribution, you must answer Yes.  You do not get to choose when or when not to apply your basis to traditional IRA distributions, including Roth conversions.  If you have basis, your tax return must include Form 8606 whenever you make a distribution.
xlian001

Thanks!  Just finished the 8606 form.

I wish that TTax would retain the records for the Cost Basis - if you skip a year and then pick it up again, the previous data is NOT retained, and the new form implies you have NO HISTORY of contributions.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies