Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lsrosenb

I want to make a spousal Roth IRA contribution this year. My only earned income is consultant work of about $8000 with $4000 of expenses. wHat limit to my contribution?

I have over $300k in MAGI income, almost all due to IRA to Roth IRA conversions.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I want to make a spousal Roth IRA contribution this year. My only earned income is consultant work of about $8000 with $4000 of expenses. wHat limit to my contribution?

It appears that neither you nor your spouse can make any Roth contribution this year due to your high MAGI.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/amount-of-roth-ira-contributions-that-you-can-make-for-2023

dmertz
Level 15

@Opus 17 , MAGI for the purpose of a Roth IRA contribution does not include the taxable amount of Roth conversions.

@lsrosenb , if your net income from self-employment is $4,000, your net earnings from self employment are $3,717 after subtracting the deductible portion of self-employment taxes of $283, so $3,717 is the amount of compensation you have that can support a Roth IRA contribution.

You haven't said whether or not your spouse has compensation and whether you intend on making the spousal contribution for you or instead on behalf of your spouse.  A spousal contribution is only permitted to be made by or on behalf of the spouse with the lower compensation.  The spouse with the lower compensation can use the other spouse's compensation to make a spousal contribution, but that reduces the amount of compensation that the spouse with the higher compensation has to support their own contribution.

lsrosenb

Thanks for the detailed reply. Yes, I am the only earner, but want to make the contribution to my wife's Roth IRA.

Very helpful detail and explanation.

L

If I have this right, your net self-employment income from your side gig is shown on schedule C, line 31.  The deductible portion of self-employment tax is on line 13 of schedule SE.  Net profit minus the deductible portion of SE tax is your "compensation" for purposes of make a Roth contribution.  You can divide that any way you like between a Roth in your name and in your spouse's name, as long as you don't go over that total.

lsrosenb

Thanks for the replies. The answer is that yes we can make the Roth ira contribution up to the net income less half social tax due. The high magi is not limiting, because according to irs form, ira  conversions to Roth ira gets excluded for magi calcs for Roth ira contribution purposes. Thanks all.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies