turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to check the box to NOT spread out 2019 disaster IRA distribution on form 8915-D. Where is this option in Turbotax for an amended 2019 return?

I am filing an amended return for 2019 because the 8915-D form was not available before the 2019 extended filing deadline.  I want to pay the tax on the distribution this year and not spread it out over three years.  There is a check box to do this on the form, but I can't make the selection in Turbotax.  How can I make this selection?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

I want to check the box to NOT spread out 2019 disaster IRA distribution on form 8915-D. Where is this option in Turbotax for an amended 2019 return?

If you entered a 1099-R for 2019, you were taxed on the entire distribution, so you don't need to amend your 2019 return.

The option to spread the income over three years is only available in the 2020 TurboTax, on Form 8915-E.

Form 8915-E has not yet been finalized by the IRS.  Click this link for info on How to Be Notified when Form 8915-E is Ready

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Exactly.  I paid a 10% penalty and the tax on the funds as income.  I was in a disaster area in 2019 and eligible to file an 8915-D which eliminates the 10% penalty and spreads the income out over 3 years, but I am only interested in recovering the 10% penalty.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will need to amend your return using the 2019 Turbo Tax software. Once the software is downloaded and you introduce your .tax 2019 file into your software. Now follow these steps.

1. Go to federal taxes>other tax situations>other tax forms>amend a return
  2. Edit your 1099-R. There are questions that appear asking you if you were in a federally declared disaster area. Complete those questions.
  3. Switch to the forms mode and select open form
  4. Type in 8915 and in the list of forms that drop down, select 8915-D
  5. There is a check mark between Lines 5 & 6 listed as the Taxable 3-year spread smart worksheet. Here is where you will make the election not to spread the taxable income over three years

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies