turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've full legal custody of my grandson as kinship-care. He is listed as my dependent. When I apply for Dependent Care deduction, his name is not on the drop-down menu?

If he is found eligible as a dependent, why isn't his name on the list?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I've full legal custody of my grandson as kinship-care. He is listed as my dependent. When I apply for Dependent Care deduction, his name is not on the drop-down menu?

Did you enter him as your dependent Child or did you select Other for him?  Have you entered any earned income from work on your tax return?

Did you pay someone to take care of him so you could work?   You have to enter your W-2 or self-employment income first, before you try to work on the childcare credit.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Was he under the age of 13 when the care was given? That is the age limit for dependent care credit.

1. He should be listed as a grandchild, not an "other" dependent.

2. Regardless of legal custody, he must live in your home more than half the nights of the year.  If you are asked, select "7 months" or longer, since the program takes "6 months" to mean exactly half the year, and half the year is not more than half.  If he lived in your home less than half the year, he is not eligible for the dependent care credit.

3. The child must be under age 13 when the care was provided.  Double check the birthdate.

4. To claim the credit, you (and your spouse if you are married) must have income earned from working.  That is a W-2 job or net profit on Schedule C.  If you don't work, or if you work but one of you has a schedule C with a net loss, then you don't qualify for the credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies