turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jpcdb23

I took an hardship early withdraw from my ESOP account for the purchase of my home. Is this withdraw subject to the 10% penalty?

Do i still need to enter both a 1099-R and 1099-B. When doing this it doubled the withdraw amount affecting my total income.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I took an hardship early withdraw from my ESOP account for the purchase of my home. Is this withdraw subject to the 10% penalty?

Yes, you need to enter both the 1099-R and the 1099-B since the IRS will expect to see both of these reported on your income tax return.

Your "doubled withdraw" problem comes from using the wrong basis in reporting the sale.

Assuming a "same day" sale:

Typically what happens here is the 1099-R will have 3 boxes filled in: Box 1 with the gross distributions, Box 2a, the taxable amount and Box 6, the NUA.

Your basis is the Box 2a amount.

Just be sure that you record the sale as "long term" to get the proper capital gain rate.

Tom Young

Yes, it is subject to the penalty for early withdrawal.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies