turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gw-surprise
Returning Member

I took an early withdrawal from a 401K. Can I use medical expenses to reduce the extra taxes on this withdrawal.

I took an early withdrawal on a 401k.  I have pay tax and a penalty on this.  Turbo Tax is trying to reduce this tax for me and is suggesting I enter medical expenses.  I did have high medical expenses in 2017.  Are there any rules for entering these medical expenses.  These would be the same medical expenses I entered on form 1040.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I took an early withdrawal from a 401K. Can I use medical expenses to reduce the extra taxes on this withdrawal.

Only medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your AGI is an exception to the penalty.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
gw-surprise
Returning Member

Thank you.  I know that is what the field say in TT.  What does this mean.  As a test, I entered my medical expenses for the year, $10K, and my taxes owned when down.  Is this legal?

No.  You take your AGI (1040 form line 38) and then 7.5% of that.  Subtract the answer from the medical expense and enter that as the exception.

Example:  Line 38 = $75,000.   75000 X .075 = 5625,   
Medical expenses are $6,600,
6600 - 5625 = 959.

$950 would be an exclusion.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies