Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I took an early distribution from my ira due to covid 19. i know i can repay tax free in 3 years, but turbo tax is saying i owe for the distribution. ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

36 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I took an early distribution from my ira due to covid 19. i know i can repay tax free in 3 years, but turbo tax is saying i owe for the distribution. ?

This section is not yet ready in TurboTax. Please be patient.

The Coronavirus-related relief measures for retirement plan distributions have to be reported on form 8915-E which has not yet been finalized by the IRS. No date has been given by the IRS for the finalization of this document.

TurboTax will update this section after the IRS releases the final version of form 8915-E and its instructions. Please revisit this section at a later date.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do I handle a repayment in Turbo Tax?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. You have misinterpreted the provision. The IRS will give you an option to pay the tax on the distribution over a three-year period. You will pay 1/3 this year, 1/3 the next, and 1/3 in the final third year. Here is how to report.

1. Log into turbo tax 
  2. Go to federal>income and expenses
  3. Retirement plans and Social Security>show more 
  4. Ira (401K), pension plan Withdrawals(1099R) Start
  5. After entering your 1099R you will scroll through several screens until you reach a screen that says Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply
  6. Here you will select the first choice 
  1. I took out this money because of a qualified disaster (includes COVID-19)
  1. Scroll through the next few screens until you reach a screen that says is this a withdrawal due to COVID-19 or a Qualified Disaster Distribution?
  2. You will say yes, this was withdrawn due to COVID 19
  3. Next screen says COVID-19 distribution Here you will indicate that all or some was a COVID 19 withdrawal.
  4. Next will ask about your COVID related stuff.  There is a checkbox that you must answer saying that you were financially impacted by COVID 19. This will waive the early withdrawal penalty.
  5. Then it asks if you repaid the distribution, you can say no unless you did.
  6. Then it asks if you want to pay the tax all the tax this year. leave the check box blank and continue. 
  7. This will generate a 8915-E and will spread your taxable amount over a three-year period automatically.

Note: In the 6th step Turbo Tax asks if you wish to pay ALL the tax this year. Make sure that box is not checked.

What if I want to repay half this year and half next year? How is the tax handled?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No. You do not have that option unfortunately. You must either take the three-year option or pay the entire amount this year.

Can I repay differing amounts in each of the 3 years?

If so, would it be better be to repay more $ in the year which I expect to have a higher or lower income?

Yes, you can pay different amounts, and it would be better to repay more money in the year in which you expect to have a higher income.

@Caseyblue

How is the repayment handled/reported within Turbo Tax ?

Is the reporting different if I make repayment prior to filing as opposed to after ?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@Caseyblue After your enter your 1099-R, and indicate it was a covid-related distribution, TurboTax will ask if you repaid all or part of your distribution.  Enter the amount you repaid (screenshot). 

The balance of the distribution can be reported over three years.  Continue until you get a screen with a checkbox asking 'if you want to pay tax this year' and DON'T check the box (screenshot).

Click this link for more info on 2020 Stimulus Tax Relief

Is the reporting handled differently if I make repayment prior to filing as opposed to after filing ?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No the reporting is handled the same. Basically, you are being asked if you want to pay now or pay later. if you pay the full income tax on the full distribution this year, you won't need to worry about paying it later. You might want to consider this option if you predict your income may drop over the next 2 years.

instead, you  can pay tax and declare 1/3 of the income this year, 1/3 next year, and then the final 1/3 in two years. As I said, pay now or pay later.

Same would also be true if I paid 1/2 this year and 1/2 next ?

@Caseyblue 

you can't choose your tax due.

You must pay the amount calculated on your tax return.

For a covid distribution, you only have the two choices 100% or one third over three years.

If you repaid more that 1/3, ie 1/2 then 

1/2 - 1/3 is carried over to next year.

according to my fractions in fourth grade that would be 3/6 minus 2/6  = 1/6 credited to your next tax return.

Not looking to choose the tax due.

Looking to repay more $ in a year with higher income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies