turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

peabody6
Returning Member

I took a distribution for the first time in 2018, from my trad. IRA. 49 days later I paid 1/2 to IRA. Does it qualify as a non-taxable rollover, and how do I enter it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

I took a distribution for the first time in 2018, from my trad. IRA. 49 days later I paid 1/2 to IRA. Does it qualify as a non-taxable rollover, and how do I enter it?

It appears from your question that the funds were either returned to the same IRA or moved to another Traditional IRA, and that this was done within 60 days. If that is correct, the rollover would be non-taxable.

Enter the 1099-R information exactly as it appears on the form.  If a box is blank - leave it blank - please do not enter zero.  Be sure you enter the code in box 7 and check the "IRA/SEP/SIMPLE" box only if it is checked on the form.  If box 2a says "Unknown" - leave it BLANK - the taxable amount will be calculated based on your answers to the follow-up questions.

As this was an IRA partial rollover, answer the question that "(Name) moved the money to another retirement account ..." (can be the same account). Next, select the answer, "(Name) did a combination of rolling over, converting, or cashing out the money."

In the next question, enter the amount of rollover.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MichaelMc

It appears from your question that the funds were either returned to the same IRA or moved to another Traditional IRA, and that this was done within 60 days. If that is correct, the rollover would be non-taxable.

Enter the 1099-R information exactly as it appears on the form.  If a box is blank - leave it blank - please do not enter zero.  Be sure you enter the code in box 7 and check the "IRA/SEP/SIMPLE" box only if it is checked on the form.  If box 2a says "Unknown" - leave it BLANK - the taxable amount will be calculated based on your answers to the follow-up questions.

As this was an IRA partial rollover, answer the question that "(Name) moved the money to another retirement account ..." (can be the same account). Next, select the answer, "(Name) did a combination of rolling over, converting, or cashing out the money."

In the next question, enter the amount of rollover.

peabody6
Returning Member

Thank you!
peabody6
Returning Member

I did just what you told me. This saved me a lot on my taxes!
MichaelMc

I am glad we could help!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies