turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I rolled over a pre-tax 401(k) to a Roth IRA, but my 1099-R indicates that I rolled it into a Traditional IRA. What can I do if the 401(k) co won't issue me a new 1099-R?

I edited my comment to correct some typos.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I rolled over a pre-tax 401(k) to a Roth IRA, but my 1099-R indicates that I rolled it into a Traditional IRA. What can I do if the 401(k) co won't issue me a new 1099-R?

You might need two 1099R.  This one from the 401K to the IRA (probably Traditional IRA).  Then a 1099R from the IRA plan converting it to the Roth.
eschutho

Thanks VolvoGirl. I checked with the current IRA holder, and they said that they didn't convert to a Roth, but directly rolled it into a Roth, so they won't be issuing me any tax forms.

There is nothing in the post that suggests that the 401(k) was first rolled into a Traditional IRA and the that was converted to a Roth.  The OP said it was directly rolled into a Roth.  If it was first rolled into a Traditional IRA then the bank would issue a 1099-R for the IRA distribution.

That brings up a good point.  Who issued the 1099-R with the IRA box checked?  The 401(k) plan administrator or the bank that it was rolled into?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
eschutho

The 401(k) plan administrator. I didn't get any forms from the bank it was rolled into. Sorry for any confusion by referring to the 401(k) in the question as an IRA. My bad.

Then I stand by my comment above as to how to proceed.
eschutho

Thank you macuser_22 for your help. I'll go with that recommendation, then.

Answered in comments

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies