turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I recently converted my 401k to an IRA. I then transferred the account to another firm. I made no withdrawals. Are there any special issues I'll have when I file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I recently converted my 401k to an IRA. I then transferred the account to another firm. I made no withdrawals. Are there any special issues I'll have when I file?

If you had the funds rolled over directly from your 401-k plan to a traditional IRA, then you may not receive a form 1099-R and you won't need to report it on your tax return. 

If you do receive a form 1099-R, then you need to report it in the Retirement Plans and Social Security income section in TurboTax. If it is coded properly, you will not owe any tax on the roll over.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the info. I know there will be no tax, but I figured the paperwork would be involved. I'm sure I'll get a 1099-R so I'll muddle my way through Turbotax when everything gets here. Thanks again for the reply.

You may get no 1099R forms or get 1 or 2.  If you get a 1099R enter it exactly as shown.   If it shows up as taxable then come back and ask.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies