turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Nik525

I received a distribution from a trust . I received a K-!, form 1041 as the trust beneficiary. Where do I report a nondividend distribution that is a return of capital?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received a distribution from a trust . I received a K-!, form 1041 as the trust beneficiary. Where do I report a nondividend distribution that is a return of capital?

"Where do I report a nondividend distribution that is a return of capital?"

That figure does not get entered anywhere on your income tax return since it is a return of capital from an investment, such as a stock, bond, or a fund.

You would ordinarily keep track of this figure because it will reduce your cost basis when the investment is sold but, in this instance, the trust will (or should) be keeping track of the basis since the trust owns the investment vehicle.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

"Where do I report a nondividend distribution that is a return of capital?"

That figure does not get entered anywhere on your income tax return since it is a return of capital from an investment, such as a stock, bond, or a fund.

You would ordinarily keep track of this figure because it will reduce your cost basis when the investment is sold but, in this instance, the trust will (or should) be keeping track of the basis since the trust owns the investment vehicle.

Nik525

Thank you! I like this answer!

You are most welcome.
loukur
Returning Member

tagteam is exactly correct. I have spoken with my trust officer who told me not to worry about the basis [i.e. return of capital], because they are tracking and will report when the trust ends.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies