Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099-R for a 401k rollover. Do I need to report this still? Are they counting it as income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

I received a 1099-R for a 401k rollover. Do I need to report this still? Are they counting it as income?

You do need to include the Form 1099-R as part of your tax return since the IRS has a copy of the form and will be expecting to see if on your return.  However, it should not generate any taxable income if the full distribution was rolled over to a similar type of account.

As you go through TurboTax, you may see the rollover amount included on some summary screens as 'income'.  That does not mean that it is taxable income, it just indicates that there was a distribution made in your name from an account.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes you need to report and enter all 1099R.  It won't be taxable depending on what you rolled it into.  What code is in box 7?  Did they take any withholding out of it in box 4?

Enter a 1099R under

Federal Taxes Tab or Personal (Home & Business)

Wages & Income at the top

Then scroll way down to Retirement Plans and Social Security,

Then IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans (1099R) - click Start or Revisit

I received 1099-R after my return being filed. Understand it has to be reported via 1040X

And how to amend at state level? 

Do I just mail a copy of 1099-R to FTB? Thank you

does the distribution include any taxable income? if no, your tax will not be changing.

Did you e-File and get ACCEPTED?

The new e-File of 1040-X makes it very easy to file an amended tax return.

@sherry052169 

right, no taxable income, AGI kept the same.

Now how about California state tax? 

Do I just mail a copy of 1099-R to FTB? Thank you

KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

Here is a Help Article about how to amend your state tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies