turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hburgio

I receive a pension from the state of Maryland. On my return it want to know if there were pick-up contributions. On my 1099R under pickup contrib. It says EP used

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I receive a pension from the state of Maryland. On my return it want to know if there were pick-up contributions. On my 1099R under pickup contrib. It says EP used

On my state of maryland 1099R I have a pick-up contribution in box 19.  I entered it in box 19 on turbo tax.  Once I arrived at the state return, it did not show the correct amount.  Instead, there was an instruction to enter the state pick-up in box 17 in the federal tax segment of the return.  What should I do or how do I report this state Pick-up?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

When the pick-up amount reaches zero, “EP USED” will be printed in the pick-up block on your 1099-R. This usually occurs within a few years after the date of retirement so enter $0 in box 17, if there is an entry in Box 15, and box 16, otherwise leave it blank

Block 17 of the 1099-R form contains the amount of your tax deferred contributions made under the State Retirement Pickup Program. This figure is important for Maryland State income tax preparation. The State Pick-up Program is concerned with the employee pension plan contributions made while working. It provides for the deferral of federal taxes when the contributions are made, but makes them taxable when received in the pension.

See State Retirement Pick-up and Your Taxes located on page 4 of the MD Retiree New & Notes  January 2015.

Enter the Pickup Contribution in Box 17 of the 1099-R entry screen on the federal return--that's the designated box for them.  TurboTax will then transfer the information correctly to the MD return.

@sallyforte

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies