Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I receive a 1099R statement of Survivor Annuity paid Box 2a on my survivor annuity shows UNKNOWN AS TAXABLE AMOUNT what amount should it be

@travis716 wrote:

Yes. TurboTax needs to do something because expecting the user to just know to leave it blank borders on negligent.

I still think TT should let the user enter what OPM put on the form. I vaguely recall somebody previously writing that putting words in some of the fields on the OMB 1099 was "illegal" but:

1. I doubt any laws have been passed prohibiting it (so it's not "illegal"), and

2. even if it is "illegal", OMB put it on the form. TT would just be allowing the user to enter what OMB put on the form. I doubt even politicians would pass laws making that illegal.

I don't think it is TurboTax's responsibility to fix OPM's violation of IRS rules.   The 1099-R IRS instruction specifically says if the taxable amount is not known then to leave it blank and if not blank then ONLY a dollar amount can go in 2a .   It is OPM  that violates the 1099-R rules that are published on the IRS web site.      But leave it to the government to ignore it's own rules.  They think that they are being helpful by providing additional information - that only confuses.  Complain to OPM. 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I receive a 1099R statement of Survivor Annuity paid Box 2a on my survivor annuity shows UNKNOWN AS TAXABLE AMOUNT what amount should it be

Hope you're not speaking for Intuit because your words certainly reflect a complete lack of concern for their customers. "Complain to OPM" is "let them eat cake" in the millenial era.

@travis716 wrote:

Hope you're not speaking for Intuit because your words certainly reflect a complete lack of concern for their customers. "Complain to OPM" is "let them eat cake" in the millenial era.

I speak for myself and the IRS rules are clear on how to fill out a 1099-R.  OPM violates the rules.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Ok. Then I'm trying to get the message to Intuit. Hopefully they read this stuff.

@travis716 wrote:

Ok. Then I'm trying to get the message to Intuit. Hopefully they read this stuff.

Usually only read by other users. The best way to express your concerns is in writing (mail) or phone.

You can contact Intuit by mail at Consumer Tax Group, Intuit Inc., 2800 E Commerce Center Place, Tucson, AZ 85706 or by calling 888-777-3066 if you have a question or concern about any product.

@travis716  Correct. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Right?

And if OMB can do it why not we?

@TT I say put the text label next to the entry that I mentioned here before. This is if you really do the calcs.

Well its that time of year so lets dig in and have some fun, shall we?

I should add that I called Intuit and had 4 hours time with them. I spoke to 4 people. We got the problem solved for my ignorance and lack of guidance. The TT people I spoke with were great and the best support call I have ever been on. I did computer support for 40 years so I go my best support that I gave to my community. Do unto to others paid off. I still work the spread sheet as back up. This is not an arena to be incorrect.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies