Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AT25
Returning Member

I realized that I've contributed to a roth IRA for the last 2 years, when I am technically not allowed to, due to the income limits. How do I fix my 2019 returns?

@ReneeM7122 

Thanks for the reply. I understand I don’t need to pay for 2021 if I fix it now. But what about 2020? I’m just unclear if I need to pay it for 2020 since I didn’t fix it based on calendar year, but technically ok based on tax year 2020. Hopefully that makes sense. 

dmertz
Level 15

I realized that I've contributed to a roth IRA for the last 2 years, when I am technically not allowed to, due to the income limits. How do I fix my 2019 returns?

Earnings are not contributions.  Because they are not contributions, they are not excess contributions.

AT25
Returning Member

@dmertz 

so don’t need to do anything tax wise for earnings that I recharacterized to a traditional? The 1K?

since I only pulled the 2019 excess in 2021, do you know if I need to pay the 6% penalty for 2020?

dmertz
Level 15

The $6,000 excess contribution for 2019 is subject to a 6%, $360 penalty on your 2020 Form 5329, because this excess was not resolved until after the end of 2020.

AT25
Returning Member

@dmertz 

ok. Makes sense just needed confirmation. So I’ll pay the penalty twice for 2019 and 2020 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies