tomfontanella

I owe an amount of Social Security taxes that were deferred due to the CARES act last year. I never requested for the deferral, did TurboTax automatically request it?

DanPaul02

When you filed your 2020 Self Employment return with TurboTax you were directed to a screen that asked if you wanted to defer Social Security taxes.  If you answered No, then the taxes were not deferred.  If you answered Yes, then the taxes were deferred.

If you had taxes deferred on a W2, then the employer made that choice for you and the employer will deduct those taxes from your future earnings and pay back the deferral.

fanfare

I never requested for the deferral,"

Evidently you answered the turbotax question unknowingly.

allmychildren123

I was asked to pay the Cares Act deferred payment of the employer’s share of Social Security taxes? This is an error that was calculated by the tax preparer. How can I get this resolved?

rjs

@allmychildren123 

If your tax preparer made an error, contact the tax preparer to resolve it.

However, if part of the self-employment tax on your tax return was deferred, you have to pay the tax, even if deferring it was an error. It is tax that you owe. If you had not deferred it, you would have had to pay it when you filed your tax return. If deferring it was an error, the result of the error was just to delay paying tax that you had to pay anyway. It's not extra tax. On your 2020 tax return the deferred tax appears as a refundable credit on Schedule 3 line 12e.