Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I over-contributed to my 401k in 2018 by $3,839 & contacted Fidelity to get my excess contribution back. I got $3,886 back. What # do I report for excess salary deferral?

I spent two hours with TT support and he still couldn't help with this issue. I already paid the fee as well. He claims TT products are non-refundable even with software glitches preventing your filing

I over-contributed to my 401k in 2018 by $3,839 & contacted Fidelity to get my excess contribution back. I got $3,886 back. What # do I report for excess salary deferral?

@jayeshgoyal No, you should not adjust the W2 information because then the W2 will not match with what the IRS received.

@Harayden The taxes calculations appear correct.  The software just thinks the excess deferrals on the W2 summary (which is only a worksheet and is not sent to the IRS) is an error and cannot proceed.  Although I see your point because if the software can't get pass this simple issue, then how can the rest of the software be trusted.

Has anybody found  any fix for this issue?

I got this error when I tried to e-file my federal return. Apparently the workaround is to file by mail. As long as the excess deferral is the only problem the software found, you should be fine to file by mail. Here's the official post stating the workaround: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4698409-excess-401-k-contribution-preventing-e-file">https://ttlc....>

I over-contributed to my 401k in 2018 by $3,839 &amp; contacted Fidelity to get my excess contribution back. I got $3,886 back. What # do I report for excess salary deferral?

Do you guys know the difference between excess "deferral" vs. excess "contribution"?

I over-contributed to my 401k in 2018 by $3,839 &amp; contacted Fidelity to get my excess contribution back. I got $3,886 back. What # do I report for excess salary deferral?

In this case, deferral is just a fancy word for contribution.

It seems like they have different rules for contribution vs deferral, if I am not mistaken, you need to report the excess deferral amount if that amount is distributed by April 15, but for excess contribution you report the year that the amount is distributed.  I can be wrong, but that was what I read.

@robbinsd13  Thanks!
I printed my return to file through mail. Prior to this I filled 1099-R form but in the printout, i don't see any entry referring to the amount i filled in 1099-R. Where can i find that entry on 1040 form? Or does that mean 1099-R amount is already known to IRS implying that they know I withdrew the money already?
ammpet

@ekamsingh27  do you have to mail a check to them? can they do direct debit if paper file

@ammpet Yes, I am mailing a check. I am not sure, if they allow Direct Debit option for paper filing
rudaykumar
Returning Member

Has the problem got fixed?
bekelsey

As usual, Intuit continues to get worse rather than better!

There's supposed to be an update on April 12, 2019 that will allow you to e-file with the excess deferrals.  More details: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4698409-excess-401-k-contribution-preventing-e-file">https://ttlc....>

I just downloaded an update and was finally able to e-file even with the excess 401K contribution.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies