Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to enter 2 code D amounts in box 12. TurboTax will not allow me to type in the year modifier after the second code. How can I proceed?

I have a D amount, and a D 22 amount. I know I need to enter both of them, but turbotax will not allow me to add the second one.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I need to enter 2 code D amounts in box 12. TurboTax will not allow me to type in the year modifier after the second code. How can I proceed?

Add the amounts together and use Code D in only on box 12.

That isn’t accurate. Per the irs website, I need to add it exactly as it is listed, with one amount indicating it is for 2022.

If you have two Code D (like one with the year ie: D22) Either combine them or leave off the D22.  22 refers to the year 2022.

it definitely refers to the year 22. I don’t need to declare that on the year 23 return? The irs website specifically says “do not add the amounts together”

Where does the IRS say about it?  Can you post a link?  Just for my notes.  

@VolvoGirl Jogged my memory from a few years back.  Why this is being entered is not clearly explained in the IRS W-2 instructions.  Seems to me either combine the amounts or leave the D22 etc. amounts off the W-2 so it can be filed.

Anyway it is on the W-2 instructions on page 21 in a TIP - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw2w3.pdf#page=21

If any elective deferrals, salary reduction amounts, or nonelective contributions under a section 457(b) plan during the year are make-up amounts under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA) for a prior year, you must enter the prior year contributions separately. Beginning with the earliest year, enter the code, the year, and the amount. For example, elective deferrals of $2,250 for 2022 and $1,250 for 2023 under USERRA under a section 401(k) plan are reported in box 12 as follows.

D 22 2250.00, D 23 1250.00. A 2024 contribution of $7,000 does not require a year designation; enter it as

7000.00. Report the code (and year for prior year USERRA contributions) to the left of the vertical line in
boxes 12a through 12d.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies