Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I make both 403b & Roth IRA contributions. Does the total contribution of these need to be under the maximum allowed to avoid hitting the 'excess contribution' rule?

2 part Ques:
A- I make both 403b & Roth IRA contributions. Does the total contribution of these need to be under the maximum allowed, $ 6500 in my case, to avoid hitting the 'excess contribution' rule?
B- The reason I ask is because the IRS uses the term 'traditional IRAs' when explaining excess contributions. But nowhere can I find if a 403b plan is considered a 'traditional IRA'; where would I find a complete IRS defintion / explanation? Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I make both 403b & Roth IRA contributions. Does the total contribution of these need to be under the maximum allowed to avoid hitting the 'excess contribution' rule?

No, you will not need to combine the two totals to figure out the contribution limit.  While they are both retirement plans, your 403(b) annuity is not an IRA.  The IRS does not restrict how much you contribute to a Roth IRA based on whether or not you qualify for and contribute to another type of retirement plan (such as a pension plan that is not an IRA), but it does restrict you based on your overall income.  For more information, please see the following IRS website:  https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/amount-of-roth-ira-contributions-that...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies