I made a non-deductible contribution to my traditi...

k1pridex

I made a non-deductible contribution to my traditional IRA for the 2015 tax year and did not include it in my tax return.

I made a non-deductible contribution to my traditional IRA for the 2015 tax year and did not include it in my tax return. There is no tax impact as it was non-deductible but I would like to keep a record of contribution with IRS. Do I need to amend my tax return or can I simply prepare the form 8606? If so, do I use the form 8606 from the 2015 tax year? And is there a penalty that I would have to pay?
macuser_22

Yes, yiu are required to file a 2015 8606 reporting the non-deductible contribution.   There is a $50 penalty for a missed 8606 but don't pay it unless the IRS sends a bill.

You can get blank 8606 forms for 2015 here:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f8606--2015.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i8606--2015.pdf

k1pridex

Thank you sir! So just a clarification, this isn't considered a tax amendment, correct? So instead of amending the actual tax return from 2015, I would just simply mail in the form 8606 from the 2015 tax year, right? Again, thank you so much for replying. 

macuser_22

No, you did not reported it incorrectly in order to amend, you did not report it at all so there is nothing to amend - you are not changing anything which is what an amendment does. .  You are simply filing an original form late that should have been part of your 2015 tax return.