turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kadtcd

I'm inheriting an IRA. What are the tax exemptions for me since I'm on disability. Do I get a beneficiary IRA or can I liquidate without penalties and taxes?

How do I handle the inherited IRA since I'm on disability?  Should I put it in a beneficiary IRA or will being on disability allow me to liquidate it now?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I'm inheriting an IRA. What are the tax exemptions for me since I'm on disability. Do I get a beneficiary IRA or can I liquidate without penalties and taxes?

You can liquidate without the 10% early withdrawal penalty. That option is available to all inherited IRA beneficiaries and is not based on disability.

There is no exception to the tax due. Any distribution will be taxable (unless the original owner had a cost basis, then it would be partially taxable)

If you choose to leave the inherited (beneficiary) IRA in place ( or transfer it to a different financial institution), you will be require to make annual minimum required distributions (MRD or RMD). You cannot rollover an inherited IRA to an IRA in your own name

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You really need to talk to the disability folks before making any decisions on this matter.  You may lose your benefits or have them reduced depending on how it is handled.  You may have to not accept the inheritance due to the rules.  Seek guidance asap.
Hal_Al
Level 15

You can liquidate without the 10% early withdrawal penalty. That option is available to all inherited IRA beneficiaries and is not based on disability.

There is no exception to the tax due. Any distribution will be taxable (unless the original owner had a cost basis, then it would be partially taxable)

If you choose to leave the inherited (beneficiary) IRA in place ( or transfer it to a different financial institution), you will be require to make annual minimum required distributions (MRD or RMD). You cannot rollover an inherited IRA to an IRA in your own name

Again check with the disability administrators ... sometimes if you have income or assets it can negatively effect your disability payments. Hal_Al gave a good answer to how it effects you tax wise and  I will add that if you have SS benefits they can become taxable if you take out a large sum all at once instead of over a 5 year period or life which are your choices.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies